Sunday, August 15, 2010

Birth of my darling Carleigh Part 1

I went to see Dr. Gates for my 37 week checkup on Tuesday August 3. Darcy decided to high tail it up to the appointment because she had dental appointments the next day. And when I had Jillian, the same thing happened. They had dental appointments on June 5 & she had gone to the doctors appointment with me when they had decided to induce me. She just thought there were too many coincidences not to come to the appointment in hopes Dr. Gates would induce me.Dr. Gates has been the doctor to deliver Rhianna, Oscar & Jillian, so we really wanted him to be the doctor with Carleigh too. We just love Dr. Gates! So, we figured if he induced me, he would be there. Well my blood pressure was 160/110, so he decided inducing me was probably a good idea. Darcy just loved the idea! I was a little in shock that I was going to be a mommy to two girls in less than 24 hrs. I was supposed to be at the hospital the next morning at 8:00 a.m. My group b strep came back positive, so I had to be on antibiotic for 4 hrs. We sat on the couch & told Jillian that we were having baby Carleigh the next day. I cried & cried! I know it is silly, but it just hit me that it wasn't just going to be jillian anymore. I just wanted a smooth transition for her. Well as it turns out, it was not a smooth transition, unfortunately. But more on that later. Jillian was excited, but other than that, I think the whole thing was lost on her.
So, the next morning we got up, took Jillian to daycare & headed off to the hospital. Dr. Gates stopped in the room & gave the orders to our nurse Joyce. He didn't check me, he said we could just go with the exam from the day before (I was 1-2 cm dialated). I got hooked up to the antibiotic & a low dose of pitocin about 9:00 a.m. Chris & I were the only ones there for awhile. Then Darcy & Rhianna showed up. Eventually, Lana, my mom & Ellen came also. Things were pretty boring for a few hours. A few contractions, but nothing too painful. Dr. Gates came back in around 12:30-1:00, checked me & I was a 3. He asked me if I wanted him to break my water. I said sure. He hadn't even stopped to get the nurse, so he had me open the instrument package. I tried to get a discount for doing that, but I doubt that will happen. lol. Shortly after that my contractions started to get worse. With Jillian, I had wanted to feel the contractions just to know how they felt. I decided I knew how they felt & that I didn't need to be in as much pain this time. So, they contacted an anesthesiologist for my epidural. Oh my gosh, my contractions were so bad! I think they were worse with Carleigh than they were with Jillian. The anesthesiologist showed up after what seemed like forever & attempted the epidural. It was painful! She numbed me up, but it didn't seem to work. The nurse & doctor kept telling me that I should just feel pressure, but I felt pain! So she numbed me more & went for a different area. That hurt just as bad not to mention my contractions were AWFUL by this time. They finally got it. The doctor said I had narrow spaces, but the doctor with Jillian didn't seem to have a problem. With Jillian, the IV at the beginning hurt worse than the epidural. Not so with Carleigh.
Well, that is enough for now, I have to go to bed. I am exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment